Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How to Lengthen a Dress

If you are like me, a mom with daughter in elementary school, you too may find that she outgrows dresses overnight. She loves the new styles but, in one month, that okay length skirt is making you cringe as you tell her she just can't wear it anymore. My new solution, buy dresses that I can modify.

Step One: Buy a dress on sale and, of course, with an additional percentage off coupon.


Note--I chose this dress for a number of reasons.
1. Made of spandex on top to give and fit better for shoulders and neckline.
2. Balloon style of skirt was attached to inner slip.
When looking under, I found another inch and a half of skirt material
that would come down when I unpicked the skirt from the slip.
3. All the other styles had netting added as trim to bottom
and I could do that (or my mom could help me do that).


Step Two: Let her wear it, until the creeping hemline on her legs must be addressed.
Step Three: Carefully unpick the dress from the slip with what I term "the unpicker." It has an official name. I got one because my mother is seamstress and over the years, I helped her unpick. So, when setting myself up, I bought one of my own. Carefully remove all threads after finishing, tape can be helpful to pick up little bits. Iron new edges smooth.

Step Three: Pick the right trim. Take the dress with you to notions stores or fabric stores for match. In my case, search my mom's (a talented seamstress my whole life) notion box. She had black stretch lace very wide.

Step Four: Serge or hem the slip.

Step Five: Sew the trim to the skirt. Fold a 1/4 inch seam over trim and straight stitch to give stability and finished look. (If you're lucky, you can have the most talented seamstress sew it for you in 10 minutes. THANKS MOM! Or spend about an hour sewing, depending on skill level)

Notice how much longer the dress is now. The hem used to end at the white slip.

Step Six: Enjoy your daughter's squeals and watch her wear it all afternoon because you (with Grandma's help) saved her favorite dress from being donated.

3 comments:

  1. This is SUCH. A. GOOD. IDEA.

    I am so doing this to a bunch of Hannah's dresses. What a smart way to get another year out of something. Love it. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tip! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE This! It's amazing what a little sewing and creativity can get you!

    ReplyDelete